Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Entry 51: Rani’s test

Once again we enter the fourth floor of the Sakura Labyrinth. …I wonder. The ambiance here is different from before. It’s stinging, or maybe it’s more formal…

[Something appears to scan Hakuno and Caster.]

Caster :: I feel something in my tail. I think some woman just looked over all our stuff!

Rani :: Rani check, complete. — All out. Welcome, Miss Hakunon. We’ve been awaiting your arrival. However, I cannot welcome you in your current state. You cannot be permitted to invade this Labyrinth as you are now. If you wish to proceed further, you must accept a corrective program, and acquire the necessary qualifications. Rather, no matter what you do, I will have you acquire the necessary qualifications. You have too many imperfections. Bear in mind the following things, and come to see me. 1. Do not take meaningless actions. 2. Never stray from perfection. 3. Do not make a single mistake. 4. Actions without clear purpose are acceptable. 5. You may fail occasionally. 6.  A mistake or two is acceptable. 7. Those who would be prey are more desirable than those who would be predators. 8. Cold colors must be preferred to warm colors. 9. Girls with glasses are supreme. That is all. I expect great intelligence from you.

Rani’s message cuts off before I can respond. She explained it without much concern, but what it sounds like is that if I don’t do as Rani says I can’t continue…?

Tamamo :: Rani check, huh. She looks kind of cold from a distance, but she really is a girl, isn't she? I've changed my view a little, but, Master... You don't have to worry about 7 and 9.

Leo :: The Labyrinth here has become quite like Rani. There’s a marked different from Miss Tohsaka’s sentimentality.

Rin :: And who are you calling sentimental! Don’t compare the two, President Cold-Blood!

Sakura :: …Um…the data entry just now was extremely inconsistent, but…is that all right?

Leo :: That’s true. I found it interesting myself, but for now let’s just go forward. Hakuno, take 
care.

[Some new paths have appeared since last time — we head down one toward a treasure chest, but when we approach this red gate closes up and we get scanned again.]


2013-08-04_11-06-11_175


Rani :: Rani check, complete. —- Minus twenty points. Wait until given permission. Please abstain from pointless actions.

Tamamo :: It's not pointless! Gathering treasure is a woman's instinct and a man's resourcefulness!

Rani :: Please continue on without distractions. The next exam subject is waiting for you. Now, hurry up.

[Proceeding roundabout the dungeon, we reach an large area with a number of enemies, and as we enter red gates lock us inside.]

Rani :: With the results of the battles I’ve observed thus far, your command score is 50 points. Please fight more flawlessly. Achieve three perfect victories, nothing less will be accepted. You will be tested as many times as necessary for you to succeed, so proceed.

Tamamo :: Geh. Making me compete earnestly - this is the worst. Master, fistfights don't really suit me.

[We do this pretty easily since there’s a healing fountain in this area, so there’s no reason not to just spam attack skills on all unidentified moves. In my case, you can also just use Tama's OP skills on all of the cards, that counts. The game goes through the trouble of explaining what a perfect victory is before this, so I assume this is meant to be some kind of tutorial. So, the gates open and we get scanned again.]

Rani :: Rani check, complete. — Plus twenty points. Well done.

Leo :: Yes, well done Hakuno, splendid powers of discernment. Being able to read your enemy is your strength.

Jinako :: Aww, what a betrayal. I was so sure Hakunon there was a battle invalid like me.

Gatou :: Prometheeeeeuuusss!

…It’s Gatou. He’s collapsed. No, he’s freaking out. I feel less worried, but also like this is pretty much what I expected.

Gatou :: Tiger Jātakaaaaa! Yonder girl, how wonderfully you’ve come for me. As you can see I was in something of a crisis. With the hunger and fatigue, the lack of sleep and the teething fever, I could truly see Calvary. My pain is as that of Prometheus who brought civilization to mankind. Odin close to death on the ash tree would also be a good comparison.

Jinako :: No one cares about your comparisons. …the point is, why’d you go into the Labyrinth, Gatou, old man? You’ve got no Servant, don’t you know that means you’ll die if you go in?

Gatou :: Hahaha. Servant or no Servant, this life exists ever at the brink of death! Nothing stops my training! Though, it’s true I was inspired by Hakuno Kishinami. I wanted to investigate the Labyrinth and see what it hid for myself!

Rin :: Very courageous, but to go this far is nothing but idiocy. Gatou, have you ever heard of “probability of success”?

Gatou :: Of course I have. But you’re pronouncing it wrong. It’s said “an excuse.” To fail to tackle a dilemma when there’s no chance of success makes you no better than a corpse. And I’m alive, as you can see. My feet will never halt their progress for such a petty thing as “danger.” All right, embarrassing girl? To challenge, facing dilemmas the value of which is in themselves alone, that is called adversity. And adversity exists to be passed through. With the summit before us, are we not to strike the flames of life!

Rin :: Gh…hey, what’s with you Gatou, that was almost cool.

Jinako :: Though Amazon still wouldn’t stock it. Can you stand up on your own, old guy?

Gatou :: Shameful as it is to admit, I can’t move a single step. But while I’m stuck here I can’t heal. Could you somehow bring me back to the old school building?

Sakura :: Transferring Mr. Gatou from that location will be impossible. We’ve set things up so we can bring Miss Kishinami back in once, but…

Leo :: …But to recover Mr. Gatou would require investigating this level all over again. I leave the decision to Hakuno.

To save Gatou and take him back to the old school building, we’ll have to redo our exploration of this layer. So —

[>] Investigation is our priority.
> Let’s save Gatou.

I feel sorry for him, but investigating the Labyrinth is our top priority. It seems like Gatou will be all right even if we leave him here.

Gatou :: Impossible — ! Eli, eli, lema sabachthani — My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me!?

[We get scanned again.]

Rani :: Rani check, complete. —– Plus thirty points. A wise choice, Miss Hakunon. You have avoided the height of pointlessness well. With that I am done with him, too. Invoking Sentinel privileges. Deporting Gatou Monji. Ejecting to the old school building. The minimum of necessary data has been collected. The program is complete. You are now authorized to explore freely, within the limits of this layer. Incidentally, as unlike Rin Tohsaka I do not possess defects, you will not be able to get an SG out of me. I will earnestly await your pointless challenge.

[Gatou vanishes, and all the red gates in the dungeon open.]

Leo :: …has the message ended? It’s good that her test is over, but as she said, we weren’t able to obtain clues toward her SG.

Rin :: Huh? It was obvious. What, Leo couldn’t tell? Really? Are you really that innocent, President Leo?

Leo :: Yes, to my embarrassment. I’ve yet to even have my first love. I’d like to experience the bitter-sweetness of youth myself, but…it’s truly unfortunate, but there are no suitable ladies around. This school has nothing but people with problematic personalities. If there were a girl who liked me, though, I’d omit all the unnecessary steps and pin her down without delay.

[Leo I think there are some things people have failed to explain to you.]

Rin :: …that’s not bitter, or sweet. That’s…meat. Like eating a steak.

Leo :: I think it would still be delicious for both parties. Right, brother?

Julius :: …please don’t talk to me about that kind of thing. Tohsaka. If you have ideas, tell them to Kishinami.

Rin :: Yes, yes. Hakunon, if you find Rani, talk to her, and deny everything she says. That will expose her true character, I’m sure of it.

 Modified from the translation at https://tsukinoura.wordpress.com/2013/08/05/entry-51-ranis-test/. Please support the original translator.

No comments:

Post a Comment