Saturday, August 25, 2018

Entry 2: A conversation with Issei

It’s a lovely, clear morning when I arrive at the school gates. I really should be used to the commute by now, but I still can’t seem to remember the road to the school.

[Visual novel style, this game is narrated by the protagonist and his/her inner monologue.]

Soon enough I arrive at the main gate. There’s still time left. Other students in the same uniform are peacefully going past the gates. As usual, I head for the gates myself.

– Then.

I feel like I’m being summoned so I speed up, and I see my friend and student president Issei Ryuudou standing at the gates. Speaking of which…starting today they were going to be cracking down on violations of the code of conduct, doing searches of the students…I think it was “public morals improvement month” or something.

Issei : Good morning! It looks like we’re having splendid weather again this morning! It’s the perfect climate for study! …hm? What is it, what’s with that “did you eat something weird this morning?” face you’re making? Huh? “Don’t you need to search me?” “What about public morals improvement month?” What are you talking about? I haven’t heard of such an event. Maybe there’s an error in your records?

…looks like it. I don’t know why I mistook today for “that day” myself. I tell Issei it’s nothing, laugh it off and head for the school building.

[The inspection and all that is the opening scene of Fate/Extra, btw. Also here we see the bizarre phenomenon of characters informing you what the silent protagonist just said. …god silent protagonist is a dumbass trope.]

Issei :: Oh, wait a minute. There’s actually something I’d like to ask you for. Sorry, but before you go to class, could you go close up the storage room on the first floor? I forgot to lock it. Given my duties, I can’t move from here. Can you do that for me?

The storage room on the first floor…if you turn left from the entry way that should be at the end of the hallway. I’ve got time before home room, and it’s a request from Issei himself – there’s no reason to refuse.

Issei :: Oh, excellent! The other students all just walk by me, I’m lucky you came along. …Honestly. More and more strange people having been entering the staff lately, I’m not sure I can take the stress. If we had one more member like you, Kishinami, the girl who works in the infirmary and I would have an easier time of it…Hmph. No, I’m being tactless. You can’t just draft people into the student council by force. Here’s the key to the storage room. See you. May you have a wonderful day, leave no regrets!

The student president wishes me well in that overblown way, and returns to his task of overseeing the main gate. It’s not public morals improvement day today, but here he is. The student president’s pure devotion to his duty is like a well-tuned machine. I bid farewell to Issei and head for the school building. The sunlight this morning belongs to either early spring nor early summer, and I narrow my eyes in response to it. A day in the life of Hakuno Kishinami begins, once again, like this.

Unchanged from original translation: https://tsukinoura.wordpress.com/2013/06/19/entry-2-a-conversation-with-issei/ Please support the original translator.

No comments:

Post a Comment