Sunday, August 26, 2018

Entry 26: Entering the Labyrinth


2013-07-08_14-16-52_249


Sakura :: Ah, um…

As soon as I leave the school building, I’m stopped by Sakura. Did she come to see me off?

Sakura :: …Please be careful. The inside of the Labyrinth is *her* territory. If you meet her…don’t fight her or…

“Her”…? From what Sakura just said, this “her” sounds like the master of the Labyrinth…or the main culprit behind all of this. Does Sakura who who or what our “enemy” is?

Sakura :: …I see. I shouldn’t have mentioned it. If you find yourself in danger, please come back quickly.

[Sakura vanishes. Then Caster appears.]

Caster :: Ah, she disappeared. It seems like she doesn't have enough power to manifest outside of the building. The evasiveness doesn't stop there, though - she's one of the Moon Cell's AIs. She's supposed to prioritize system maintenance over everything else. Normally, she'd choose to use her power to keep the system maintained over helping masters, but... I suppose that on this side of the moon, it's not like disobeying that perogative'll get you punished instantly like on the near side. Having Sakura as an ally sure is convenient! Also... Isn't it more fun to leave secrets as just that - secret? Let's hurry to the labyrinth!


[Caster goes poof.]

I guess Caster is right. Though Sakura’s words may weigh on my mind, right now my first priority is to investigate the Sakura Labyrinth. The mysterious arena constructed on the far side of the moon — is there really something awaiting us in there?

2013-07-08_14-50-42_918


[As Hakuno approaches the tree and hole opens up in it with an iron gate. The gate opens and she steps inside.]

Sakura Labyrinth Floor -01: Escape from New Moon

— I feel we’ve descended into a deep hollow. Following an intoxicating feeling like falling asleep, we’re standing here in this strange place. The first things I notice are the evening sun sinking below the horizon, and the towering castle spires. I can’t see the ground. The path stretches out like a thread cast every which way. There’s a scent of iron in the wind here, like a telltale trace of blood staining this beautiful scenery.



[Phone ringing sound!]

Leo :: Signal, confirmed. Can you hear me, Hakuno? This is the student council room. We’re presently configuring our resources to set the protection of your virtual brain as our highest priority. Though we call it an arena, that place is still the far side of the moon…a “world that is not,” constructed from imaginary numbers. We will be keeping an eye on all of the numerical values that compose you, and protecting you from existential collapse.

Leo’s message is reassuring. When he talks about keeping an eye on my numerical values, and existential collapse, that means that in the student council room they’ll be monitoring me to make sure they don’t lose track of my location, I think.

[I don’t think that’s what that really means, Hakuno. But if it makes you feel better.]

Sakura :: Right. To make a simple comparison, you’re underwater now. Please think of it like we’re sending you oxygen so you can survive down there. The sensors and monitors are all working. We can’t scan the Sakura Labyrinth from the council room, but by instead using our equipment to monitor Miss Kishinami, we can infer information about the state of your surroundings. The internal structure of the Labyrinth seems much like the arena. And then…what is this, signs of life…we have indications of life from throughout the whole Labyrinth.
Julius :: Signs of life…which means there are other humans who have entered the Labyrinth before us?

Sakura :: No, the gate was just created, so there shouldn’t be any other lifeforms inside the Labyrinth. If there are, that’s —

Leo :: Something that was in the Labyrinth from the beginning. Possibly they’re other victims who didn’t make it to the old school building.

Sakura :: …I think it’s quite possible. But…it’s strange…the signals I’m picking up from these lifeforms are very strong, but I can’t ID them…I’m sorry, the life signs are presently unclear. Can you see your navigation map, Miss Kishinami? It should at least by able to pick up signs of enemies in your immediate vicinity. Still, all we can do from here is keep our camera focused on you and monitor what happens there. …so, please be cautious. If the situation becomes dangerous, please return to the school.

Leo :: As Sakura says. We are currently maintaining a stairway connecting your present location to the school. if you feel endangered, come back here. Now, please go and explore your locale.

Caster :: Hmmm, we should watch out for bugs, but it'll probably be fine. Worrying here would be a waste of time. Let's try to keep to the basics ♥ Alright, Master. Though this castle looks like it was put together by someone with questionable hobbies, let's go sightseeing!

Caster looks toward the arena boldly, as if there is nothing to be afraid of. I swallow nervously. Caster and her composure might as well be in a different dimension from mine, where I can’t seem to tell right from left. Though the labyrinth is as unknown to Caster as to me, it seems she has absolute confidence in her directions.

...My uneasiness grows. It's true that Caster and I are in this together. I can definitely feel that. But - due to my missing memories, I'm completely inexperienced. Not being able to remember what happened in the holy grail war - I'm pathetic. To have forgotten something so pivotal - am I breaking down?

Caster :: Master? It's not like that muscly idiot Berserker is here or anything, so go forth without hesitation. I feel like even if we totally mess up we'll still figure something out!

Caster invites me forward. ...That's right, this isn't the time to hesitate. I'll answer her faith in me even if I'm worried! Let's conquer this arena!

[Gameplay time! I've got to admit, I'm not looking forward to the first few fights here where I don't have any skills, but I'll figure something out.]

Original translation: https://tsukinoura.wordpress.com/2013/07/09/entry-26-entering-the-labyrinth/. Please support the original translator.

No comments:

Post a Comment