Sunday, August 26, 2018

Entry 30: The results are in

[Ringing!]

The sounds of summons from the student council room wakes me up like an alarm clock. Waking from my sleep, I see the school building’s sunset. I guess this school really is a place where the division between days is meaningless.

Caster :: Good morning, Master. Eh? You're saying I'm an early riser? Fufu. The mark of a good wife is in waking up two hours before their husband to make breakfast, of course.

Caster :: So, what would you like this morning? Food? A bath? Or perhaps...

Caster :: Ayaya, wait, wait! Why are you heading for the door at Mach speed? Okay! I understand! It was a joke! Even I can read a serious atmosphere... We're off to the Student Council room to make preparations, right? Alright! Time for a fun little outing! Of course, it goes without saying that you'll be buying me sweets at the school store.

[After a quick run around the school to confirm that nothing has changed since “last night,” I head into the student council room.]

Leo :: We’ll skip the introductions and have a review of our last session. First we’ll hear from my brother, our acting secretary.

Julius :: Hakuno Kishinami’s exploration of the Labyrinth had two results. One was the discovery of the door fortification made by an unknown routine. Afterward, we analyzed the source from the data Hakuno Kishinami recorded, but were unable to read the program. If Leo can’t do it, no one can do it. Hacking that door is impossible.

Leo :: Brother, isn’t that an exaggeration? I wasn’t able to do anything with it, but perhaps someone else could easily solve it?

Julius :: …well, the possibility isn’t zero. The student council has dubbed that door a “shield.” From now on, researching the shield will be our top priority.

Leo :: After all, we won’t be able to move forward if we can’t get past the shield. Now, acting treasurer Gawain, go ahead.

[…we made Gawain our acting treasurer?]

Gawain :: Ahem. I will deliver the results of our analysis of Rin Tohsaka and her Servant, who you encountered. To begin with our conclusion, that is the real Rin Tohsaka. There were strange points in her behavior, but broadly speaking, her character was just as we remember it.

Julius :: …well, it wasn’t quite that…nothing. Go on.

[Possibly I should note that back in the Holy Grail War, the Leo faction and Rin were bitter enemies, as the representatives of the rulers of the world, and of the rebellion against them, respectively.]

Gawain :: She called herself the queen of the moon, and attempted to capture Hakuno Kishinami. She always referred to us as “survivors.” We don’t know the reason, but she is certainly the cause of all this, the enemy who has trapped us all here. Rin Tohsaka’s Servant is a Lancer. This too is as we remember it, though there were some small differences.

Julius :: …no, Sir Gawain, that’s definitely not —

Gawain :: Julius. Do you have some objection to Leo’s conclusions?

Julius :: …go on. Indeed, either way they’re opponents we must defeat. Their internal state is a trivial problem.

Gawain :: That’s our Julius. Now, I’ll continue. Lancer is not an exceptionally powerful Servant. B+ to A class at most. As long as we’re prepared, we should be well able to crush her.

…Gawain says it as if it’s nothing, but if she’s B+ to A class, she’s a really high-level Servant. I think the standards of this pack of prodigies may be a little…

[Damn gorilla and his unrealistic standards.]

Gawain :: Also, we have confirmed that it was one of Lancer’s personal skills that obstructed our audio signal. It’s unclear if it’s a part of Lancer’s manifestation, or a Noble Phantasm, but regarding the jamming itself, we have set up multiple provisional working frequencies, so in the future we will be able to deal with it.

Leo :: Perfect. That’s my Gawain. You’re not just an accomplished knight on the battlefield, but also in magic…digital warfare.

Gawain :: No, this too is one of a knight’s skills. While I may be the bearer of a holy sword, I can’t simply rest on my laurels. Even Kings aside, being as knight is not as simple as just wielding a holy sword.

[As far as I can tell, the word he uses there actually seems to indicate firing the sword like a gun. I guess this just means all holy swords do sword beams.]

[Well, he wouldn't be a Saber if he didn't have a beam.]

Leo :: Now then. Presently, these two problems stand in our way. Any questions?

Gatou :: Yes! President, when will it be my turn?

Leo :: It sounds like there aren’t, so let’s continue. We’re still lacking in information about Lancer and Miss Tohsaka, who calls herself a queen. However, if we can just increase our fighting power, we should be able to deal with them. The problem is the shield. We’ll need to come up with at least the beginnings of a clear plan if we want to break this deadlock. So, Hakuno. Could you pass this data on to Kiara Sesshouin?

Gatou :: Huh?

Leo handed me the data on the shield. I don’t mind giving it to Kiara, but why her?

Leo :: It’s just a possibility. At present, since we can’t analyze it ourselves, we’ll have to try letting someone else give it a shot. Though I do have some hope that, if the rumors about her are true, she may know something about illegal fortification-breaching…

Rumors about Kiara…? What could that —

Leo :: I’ll leave it to you. I can’t hold a conversation with her myself. Our values and perspectives are too different.

Gatou :: Sesshouin…Sesshouin…Let me see. I think I’ve hear that somewhere…Argh-ga-ahh-argh! What is this headache, like my head’s been cleaved…! What could this be, when I thought I remembered that name, something happened to me!

…so Gatou rambles. We’ve got no other prospects, so I’ll go see Kiara.

Original translation here: https://tsukinoura.wordpress.com/2013/07/12/entry-30-the-results-are-in/. Please support the original translator.

No comments:

Post a Comment