Sunday, August 26, 2018

Entry 24: Scouting: Kiara and Andersen

[And my final target is standing outside the library. It’s our friend the nun.]

Unnamed woman :: Oh my. It seems we meet again, Hakuno.

This woman is, if I remember…Taiga…Fujimura? She was a newly appointed teacher at the other school. Sine she was a teacher, I thought she was an NPC prepared by the administration — the Moon Cell, but maybe she’s another Master.

Unnamed woman :: ? Taiga Fujimura? How odd…I don’t remember giving such a charming name…

The nun hides her face as if something troubles her. As I thought, it looks like Taiga Fujimura isn’t her name. Then, her real name is…?

Kiara :: My name is Kiara Sesshouin. I played the role of a teacher in the preliminary round. And I met you then, right?

[So…”Sesshouin” is written as “institution of the destruction of life.” …Yeah. I think this what TV Tropes calls “Names to Run Away from Really Fast.”]

The woman…Kiara smiles gently. A warm gaze, like she’s grateful for this reunion from the bottom of her heart. Even under these circumstances, I can’t help blushing under those eyes.

Kiara :: But, I’m so glad. I had prepared for the worst when we were attacked by that black noise, but you’re safe.

— wait a second. Did she just say “attacked by black noise”?

Kiara :: Yes. It swallowed the whole school during the preliminaries. But fortunately it wasn’t serious. We’re all in one piece. If you’re in doubt whether this is a dream or reality, why don’t you go ahead and touch? Please, you don’t need to restrain yourself.

With a chaste rustling of clothes, Kiara holds out her hand. She may not be aware of it, but that gesture is incredibly tender and feminine. Even as a girl myself, I’m startled and fascinated by her charms. …No, I need to stay calm. This isn’t the time for that. The important thing is that she and I are here under the same circumstances. Kiara was also in that school, and swallowed by the black noise?

Kiara :: …Yes. It’s because of these clothes. I tripped as I was running, and was sadly swallowed up by that black mud. I was in the first floor hallway, and I called you to as you were heading for the stairs, do you remember?

…no, I shake my head. I see. So Kiara also called for me to save her back there. Back in that school, in the end I couldn’t save anyone, but the fact is that I abandoned them. Attacked by guilt, I lower my eyes.

Kiara :: No, it’s fine. Please don’t blame yourself. It was the best thing to do at the time. And even then…your repentance just now is enough to  recompense me. That you would think enough of me to mourn for me, when we have only spoken once.

Kiara Sesshouin gives thanks from the bottom of her heart to one who left her to die. Something warm lights my heart. Though her words are out of concern for my guilt, the gratitude that fills them is real. A tender smile that embraces all people’s actions and character. Kiara has the kind of friendly demeanor you seldom find. Someone like this is sure to join the student council. So convinced, I explain Leo’s student council to her.

Kiara :: A student council? Indeed if you aim to leave this place, it’s better if everyone works together. However, I must apologize. I can’t join the student council.

!? I would expect it from the other masters, but for her to refuse to join…! I have to ask her why, or I just won’t be able to understand it!

Kiara :: The reason is obvious. You and Leo earnestly aim to escape by whatever means you can. I would be bad for your morale to include someone without the will to leave. I don’t want to sully your determination with something so trivial, Hakuno. I’m very sorry, but I must decline.

Kiara lowers her eyelashes sadly. I can feel her concern for us so well it hurts. But what does she mean, without the will to leave?

Kiara :: When I consider something impossible, my heart despairs…that’s what I mean. In my own way I have tried to leave. My power is enough to open a hole to the outside. But the instant I set foot outside, my power cannot maintain its shape, and it vanishes. It’s the same for my Servant. I’m not strong enough. But, for you and Leo and your Servants, it may be different. Then…if you escape, Hakuno, will you be able to leave me behind with no regrets? You will surely be lead astray, by the weakness that ignores the powerless. …it is a two-fold cruelty. I don’t want to become a burden to you, Hakuno. …You shouldn’t look so sad. Don’t worry. This school isn’t such a bad place. I don’t know who locked us away here. But even though we have so many resources, they leave us to our own devices. Doesn’t that mean they’re being lenient with us? What happened in the other school was the same. I narrowly escaped death. Those of us here have been spared by the mercy of whoever it is.

…Kiara has a point. But we don’t know how long whoever it is will stay lenient with us. And isn’t it hard to say that we were spared by being locked up in here?

Kiara :: That’s quite reasonable. That’s why I don’t intend to oppose your student council – I would like to help. But my power is not enough. I am sure that in the end, I would become a hindrance to all of you. So I would like to keep my distance. …even just a moment ago, I caused pain to someone like you by the fact that you could not save me.

There’s nothing I can do in response to that but withdraw. Each Master knows best the strength of themselves and their Servant. Since Kiara has decided it’s impossible with her power, it would be irresponsible for an outsider like me to argue.

Kiara :: Heehee. You’re very worried by this, aren’t you. Don’t look like that. You’re different from me. I can tell even if you don’t say it. You have a pure and selfless determination. Though I am an unworthy woman who only protects her own life, I hope you will let me support you from the shadows. Did you hear that, Andersen? Words are cheap, but your criticisms may be of some use. Will you please offer advice to these people?

Kiara calls her Servant not be their class name, but be their true name – the one usually kept secret. True names are the most closely guarded secrets in the Holy Grail War, but she gives voice to it readily. …ah, I get it. She has completely given up on returning alive. She doesn’t expect to return to the Holy Grail War, so she has no reason not to show her hand to an eventual enemy.

2013-07-06_18-09-06_917


It would be right to call the boy who materializes before me beautiful. But his eyes hold shades of despair quite contrary to his appearance. Hans Christian Andersen. One of the three greatest authors of children’s stories in the world, famous for “The Little Mermaid” and “The Little Match Girl.” This boy created those bedtime stories I’ve heard countless times?

Andersen :: …hmph. As she just said, I’m Andersen, a third rate Servant. My class and such don’t bear discussion. A vulgar heroic spirits, fitting for the very worst of Masters, you understand. But, don’t you have a depressingly ordinary face? No suffering, no sorrow, the face of a person who’s simply been abandoned by the world. All right, that’s not bad. A clown has to be that way. They say that stupidity is crime, but for the common people to be abandoned by the world is a blessing. You’ll enjoy good and evil alike! That’s what they call an honest life. After we’re thrown out of our mother’s womb, there’s nothing for it but to laugh at the ugliness of the world. Hm? What are you looking at me like that for. What, you weren’t looking for criticism? You want advice? Then you should have said so in the beginning, you idiot. Don’t trust strangers. Don’t trust women. And that woman in particular you should avoid. Her body, her words, her ideas, all of it is poison to any ordinary person. They say that looking at too bright a light will make you go blind, you know? The masses cannot endure the preaching of saints. And with this woman the results are especially bad.

[…I cannot convey in text how bizarre it is hearing him talk. Unless you are familiar with Japanese voice actors at all, in which case: Takehito Koyasu. If not, just know that his voice is 100% adult male.]

Kiara :: …oh, as soon as you open your mouth it’s nothing but abuses. All I’ve done is acknowledge that I lack the will and the talent to resolve this present situation. Andersen. Perhaps being inside the box really suits you better than coming out?

Andersen :: Heh. I spoke because I was told to speak. Then I ran with it, and in the end my scrawling will never stop, Kiara. You ordered me to instruct this plebeian. I spoke the bitter truth. Putting on kid-gloves and tip-toeing around it won’t teach her anything. So I am determined to cut down those people’s price.

2013-07-06_18-32-51_379


Kiara :: …that word again? It’s been long enough for you already, but I’ve told you that you can’t attach a price to a person, haven’t I?

Andersen :: My job is to speak the truth. And human life has a price. And you waste that value, witch. — And you, young Master.

That sharp gaze turns on me as if appraising me. I get a sense of maturity I wouldn’t expect from the boy’s appearance.

Andersen :: You intend to be the leading actor in your own story, don’t you? Yes, that’s true. But someday that play will end as a failure that no one ever sees. All people are leading characters, but when the curtain falls it’s only a small handful of winners whose performance is praised as a masterpiece. So, don’t stop. Don’t be extravagant. Waste nothing. If you want your wishes to be granted, then you shouldn’t listen to the words of critics and the like. So go and work yourself like a cart-horse, third-rate.

Kiara :: Heehee. This is what he’s like, but I hope you’ll get along. You’re a good person with honest eyes.

Er, maybe? If Kiara weren’t here to mediate, I think it’s quite possible my own Caster might show up and start in  — Anyway,  Kiara said she won’t join the student council, but she’ll give up what help he can. Maybe in time she’ll change her mind. But this is fine for now —
With this, I’ve gone around the whole school. I should go back to the student council room and report to Leo.

Unchanged from original translation: https://tsukinoura.wordpress.com/2013/07/06/entry-24-scouting-kiara-and-andersen/. Please support the original translator.

No comments:

Post a Comment