Sunday, August 26, 2018

Entry 32: We have so many questionable ethics

Leo :: Welcome back Hakuno. Did you learn anything helpful from Kiara?

I report that, more than just a hint, I learned the true nature of the shield. Leo is surprised, but he still nodes with an understanding face, as if he expected as much.

Leo :: As Kiara said, I’ve studied psychology, but it was all just information. Even if I could measure the darkness of the human heart, I wouldn’t know how to heal it.

Gawain :: What are you saying, Leo? Your radiance is as the light of the sun. Anyone wrapped in darkness would be freed of it simply by beholding you.

Leo :: Thank you Gawain. I will remember that. Instead of a one-sided faith, I will aim for a more human path to salvation.

Saying that, Leo’s profile becomes just a little lonely. …some vague memory suddenly floats across my mind. He really was the sun that illuminates everything. He had a kind of divine kingship that cleared away all obstacles, and all feelings. But it would never solve the fundamental problem. If you’re saved by the sun’s illumination, the moment the sun is gone, you will fall into darkness again.
From my perspective I can see that problem, but I wonder if he himself became aware of it in his last moments…?

[Kiara enters the room.]

Kiara :: Excuse me. Kiara Sesshouin, come to add my powers to your cause — oh my, what a serious atmosphere. I feel awkward, intruding on this secret boys’ meeting. If it’s just bad luck, shall I try coming back later?

 [I'm a girl, though!]

Leo :: No, we were waiting for you, Kiara. To get straight to the point, please instruct us in how to take down the shield.

Kiara :: Yes, please leave it to me. Or so I’d say, but all I can do is explain and transfer it to you.

Leo :: Transfer…? Do you mean you have in your possession some effective countermeasure?

Kiara :: Yes. But please wait for that. Please first let me explain to you what the walls of the heart are. The walls of the heart are, as singular objects, difficult to destroy. The wall isn’t something to be destroyed, but something to be understood. Please think of it that way.

Leo :: Understand…is it? So, we aren’t sweeping away the troubles of the heart?

Kiara :: Yes. We want to see through to the hidden character, the proper state of Rin Tohsaka’s heart, which is the origin of the wall, and accept that. Speak with her, fight with her, observe her, and so discover her “secrets.” Those will become the keys to open that door.

Gawain :: To know your enemy, cross blades with him, and so lay each other bare — that’s what you’re saying?

Julius :: Impossible. What do you understand about people that way. Sesshouin. You may know how to do this sort of neat tidying up on earth, but this is a battlefield. Show us a specific, concrete method.

Kiara :: Of course, I’m aware of that. The normal way to represent the motions of the human heart, the reactions of the soul, is to process them as the rise and fall of a graph. To measure metaphysical things, the observer must also become a spiritual existence. That is the farthest land that all religions aim for. The third eye, the eye that sees not the image but the countenance, the eye of meditation, which is lost to us, and so we cannot see the shape of the soul. To find the real thing would require long training, but right now is something of an emergency. So this time, I will specially transfer to you an imitation of the Five Thought-Stopping Meditations Program…Eden style version. What, it’s not such a special program. It just finds the openings to a person’s heart, and exposing the backwaters that the person themselves is not even aware of.

Leo :: The five…what is that?

Gatou :: It’s a basic meditation method to renounce worldly desires. The five meditations are meditation on impurity, meditation on compassion, meditation on cause and effect, meditation on separation from the world, and mindful breathing meditation.

[Let me tell you, Buddhist terminology is hell to translate, it’s all passed through like four different languages at least, and some, like this, doesn’t seem to have ever reached English along that journey.]

Leo :: Oh. As I’d expect of you, Gatou. Your knowledge of Buddhism is deep. It’s been educational.

Gatou :: Of course, President Leo. My greatness is as laundry floating in the Ganges River. And thus my heart —

Kiara :: Which it to say, it’s very hard to find?

Gatou :: Indeed. Your interpretation is correct, lady. Hidden secrets are latent tendencies, which is to say worldly desires. And to choose to abandon worldly desire for the sake of one’s own self-awareness…well, that I understand. However, however! That is the path by which people face their own desires. To face the desires of others does not make sense.

Kiara :: Of course, that’s just it. However, it appears Rin Tohsaka is not behaving like her previous self. We have vowed to save the lost. I wouldn’t be saying this if we weren’t under circumstances like this, would I, Mr. Arhat?

Gatou :: Er, yes. You should call me an shramana, not an arhat. I, Monji Gatou, am still in the midst of my training, you see. Oh yes, I need to go clean the toilets! I just remembered an important task, excuse me!

It seems Gatou is bad at dealing with Kiara. Making a troubled, unsatisfied face, and muttering to himself all the way, he leaves the room.

Leo :: Returning to the topic at hand. If we have those five paths to enlightenment, will we be able to see through Rin Tohsaka’s heart?

Kiara :: It’s more like exposing the affected areas than seeing through it. The Five Thought-Stopping Meditations is medical software. It finds the patient’s injuries, and cleanses the stagnant areas. The shield is a wall of the heart that guards secrets. Therefore, if we uncover the secrets, there will no longer be any meaning in protecting them. If the wall of the heart is an illness, the Five Meditations is a vaccine to treat it — it would be fine to think of it that way.

Leo :: …I see, I understand the theory. So we should install the Five Thought-Stopping Meditations into our analyzer, and then monitor Miss Tohsaka. The Five Thought-Stopping Meditations will observe the subtleties of the heart, and when it deduces Miss Tohsaka’s hidden secrets, it will retrieve those secrets in physical form…Is that it?

Kiara :: Yes. Of course, we will have to rely on Miss Kishinami to do her best to collect data on the patient. And one correction. It won’t be installed to the student council room, but to Miss Kishinami herself.

Sakura :: What…?

Installing a program to myself…I’ve never done it, but it doesn’t sound so extraordinary. In this virtual environment, my body is made up of quasi-spiritual particles. Installing a program or attaching new functions should be possible. A Master’s code-cast abilities run on the same principle. If there’s anything that makes me uneasy, it’s that program’s capacity. Running powerful software could damage my personality. Will my body be able to endure the load of a program like I’ve never seen or heard of, that “observes emotions.”

Sakura :: I, I’m opposed! We can’t force Miss Kishinami to take such a risk! If we’re going to attach external software, an AI like myself would be more qualified. I am generally forbidden to expand my functionality, but this is an emergency situation. We can overlook the Moon Cell’s rules!

Everyone in the room is surprised to hear Sakura suddenly speak up. Of course I am, but Leo, Julius, and even Gawain are all blinking at that. The only one unaffected is Kiara. She smiles at Sakura, calm as ever.

Kiara :: And why is that?

Sakura :: Why?

Kiara :: You say it’s an exception, but the Moon Cell’s rules must be followed to the best of you ability, correct? So I’m asking, why are you making that choice now?

Sakura :: O-oh…we-well…? That’s, um…Because my duty is to look after everyone’s health. I can’t make Miss Kishinami take dangerous actions outside of the Holy Grail War.

Kiara :: Oh, I see. I’m relieved to hear that’s your reason. However, it isn’t possible to install it to you. Only human beings can read emotions. Even if you observe emotions, Sakura, you can’t understand them. And besides, practically speaking, Hakuno is the one who’ll be meeting with Rin, right? So only she can do this.

Sakura :: ……

Kiara :: Does anyone else have objections? If not…Hakuno, come here. Please close your eyes for a little bit. I’ll transfer one part of the Five Meditations. It’s all right, it won’t put too much of a load on your soul. It has about the same weight as the command seal, so don’t be concerned.

I have no right to refuse. After all we have to method to bring down the shield other than this program. I do as I’m told, closing my eyes and relaxing my shoulders. Then —

Kiara :: Nn —

2013-07-13_10-22-32_579


[There is a burst of flower petals around us as she does that, too.]

Julius :: What the hell are you doing!?

Leo :: This is most unexpected! Brother, we need to get an image! Quickly, quickly! Multicam, we need multicam!

Gawain :: What boldness, in the public eye…Ah, are the hands at her waist as the fluttering of the swan, or the great serpent encircling the sacred tree…

Sakura :: ——.

…, ……! …, ……, ………!!!!!!!

Kiara :: Mm…ahh, thank you for waiting. The Five Thought-Stopping Meditations has been safely installed to Hakuno.

Wha, whawhawha, whawhawhawhawha…!

I look around at everyone in the room, asking for some explanation of what just happened. Leo is grinning and giving us a thumbs-up. Julius is conspicuously averting his eyes. Gawain bows to Kiara, babbling something about “splendid execution.”

Leo :: Thank you for all you’ve done for us, Kiara. Now Hakuno has a new skill added, then?

Kiara :: Yes. Though as Hakuno resisted, it nearly failed.

“All you’ve done”, “all you’ve done” is…! Of course I resisted, what did you expect!

…which was a mistake. Though I frantically tried to push her away with both hands, the more I pushed the more force Kiara put into her hold on me, until it felt like she was twined around me, and I was at her mercy…

Kiara :: The presence of these walls of the heart means that the girl they come from is asking to be saved. The rest will depend on Hakuno’s efforts.

Julius :: …hn. And what exactly do you mean by “efforts”?

Kiara :: My goodness, you’re very aggressive. What makes those girls happy, what they hate, what they like, what they fear — I mean she should get them to appreciate all of it, no matter what. And then when their hearts are laid bare, Hakuno’s eyes, carrying the Five Meditations, should mercilessly sunder that flower.

I, I see? What I need to do is look for Rin, talk to her, and depending on the circumstances, fight her…that’s what she means, right? So fundamentally it’s not that different from what I was doing before. I think. Definitely.

Kiara :: The next part will be Sakura’s job. Transmit the “secrets” Hakuno obtains to the shield, and so undo the wall…That will also require a new program. Sakura. Are you still willing to expand your functionality?

Sakura :: …Y-yes. If it will help everyone, I think it’s an allowable exception.

Kiara :: Then Sakura, I will give you the remaining part of the Five Thought-Stopping Meditations. What I transferred to Hakuno was only one part. I will insert the foundation of the program into you. It will overwrite your base personality, but that should be all right for you, Sakura.

…I gasp. I mean, I just heard her say “it will overwrite your base personality.” That can’t be the same as installing an external function. Sakura is an AI, but I can’t really tell the difference between her and a human being. I’m not all right with Kiara treating her like an object, but it seems I’m the only one in the student council room worried about Sakura. Leo and Julius and Gawain — even Sakura herself doesn’t seem to have any complaints. In this era, even if an AI is the same as a human, there are things one has that the other doesn’t —

…such things cross my mind to no purpose, common knowledge I’ve heard somewhere before.

Kiara :: Now then — ah, no not here. I’ll need you to be naked, so let’s go to the infirmary.

Sakura :: Y-yes. I’ll follow your lead.

The two of them left for the infirmary. …I’m concerned. Would it be all right for me to go after them?

[>] I can’t overlook this, to the infirmary!
> Wouldn’t that be peeping on them?

Gawain :: You mustn’t, Lady. As a fellow woman, your intent is understandable, but you must restrain yourself.

[…I’m now curious as to whether with a male character that sentence has all the same words except for “woman,” yet takes on an entirely different meaning.]

— I’m stopped before I can go anywhere! And by Gawain, at that. The moment I looked away to go casually follow them!

Leo :: Indeed, Hakuno. Your mouth gives away your wicked intentions. Let’s wait here patiently. …Well, I think I’ll go to the bathroom though. A bit too much tea, you know.

Gawain :: Leo. Though you say so, you haven’t had tea or anything else to drink the whole tea we’ve been in here.

Leo :: Ahaha. You’re so attentive to details, Gawain. I didn’t mean the bathroom. Actually, I have a book I borrowed I need to take back to the library, so…

We hear the sound of the door opening. Before Leo had finished talking, Julius had reached the door without any of us noticing.

Julius :: The president need not dirty his hands. I’ll go see what’s happening.

Leo :: Brother, that’s…why do you only decide to be helpful at times like this?

Julius :: Dirty work is my jurisdiction. Before procuring anything, I will be on standby, and if anything seems out of order, I will knock on the infirmary door, then check inside.

Gawain :: Most commendable. Truly gentlemanly conduct. Julius, please go ahead. …I’m afraid the stimulus would still be too much for Leo, you see. We can discuss this in detail later, just between us.

Leo :: Hey, that’s not fair! My brother and I are the same, age doesn’t matter! Up to R-15 should be fine!

[Look Team Harway, if you want to hear about spying on lesbian sex magic in infirmaries, Hakuno knows all about it — well, in another timeline, I guess.]

I nod vigorously in agreement with Leo. We can’t let Julius alone see that beautiful vision.

Julius :: …all of you, what do you think I am? I’m really just going to go see what’s happening. This is a good opportunity, so I’ll say it now. As the student council’s private secretary, I will find and immediately punish all violations of good behavior. That’s my intent.

Gawain :: Nn…what an uptight man he is! The way he speaks reminds me of Lancelot!

Leo :: Julius…I know that he takes his professional duties very seriously, but this is just…I’ve failed. I’m sorry, Hakuno.

No. Why are you apologizing to me, Leo.

Kiara :: Sorry to leave you waiting.  The installation to Sakura went smoothly…oh? It’s quite a cheerful atmosphere this time. When it’s all men a room, they all become boys at heart, no? How charming.

No, there was a woman, it was me. It’s just that Leo turned to the conversation to a very benign subject, so we started acting like regular students in here somehow.

But that’s not important, how is Sakura? I trying asking if she’s in a bad physical state, after that difficult addition to her functionality.

Sakura :: There were no significant issues. I can’t understand human hearts, but my ability to analyze the shields has been extraordinarily augmented.

Kiara :: And that’s all I have for you. If anything comes up, please don’t hesitate to call on me again.

Kiara bows simply and then leaves. It was just a small movement, but it left more of an impression on me than if she had hung her head deeply. It may be the complete opposite of Gatou’s over-reactions. I think I get why it’s hard for Gatou to deal with Kiara.

Leo :: Well then, let’s get straight to the launch experiment. Hakuno, please head for the Sakura Labyrinth.

[Checking in with people in the room: Sakura says she’s completely fine, or rather better, since she can analyze shields. Gawain is still annoyed at Julius. Julius is not feeling all right about us mucking about in people’s hearts – he says it seems more like a virus than a vaccine, no matter what Kiara says, once again distinguishing himself as the only reasonable person on this council. Leo and Hakuno discuss the fact that their school uniforms have changed since coming to the far side – they’re now in a more old fashioned style, to match the old fashioned school building. Hakuno wonders why Julius and Sakura are still dressed the same way. Julius would never wear a uniform of any kind, and it doesn’t really matter what Sakura’s wearing, as it doesn’t affect her functionality, Leo responds. Hakuno is not okay with the idea that it doesn’t matter what Sakura wears, and thinks that as a member of the team she should have a uniform to match the rest of us – perhaps there is a shop where we can find one? Sounds like a small sidequest to me.]

[As I leave the room: ]

Sakura :: Ah – um. Thank you very much, Miss Kishinami.

The moment I go to leave the student council room, Sakura suddenly thanks me. There’s no preface to it, so I look, surprised, at Sakura, as do Leo and the others. “Why are you thanking me?” I ask…

Sakura :: What? Oh, ah, I don’t know. Somehow, I just felt like there was something I needed to thank you for…I’m sorry…it seems the addition of the new software has made my emotion levels little unstable. Please take care, and don’t get hurt out there!


Unchanged from original translation here: https://tsukinoura.wordpress.com/2013/07/13/entry-32-we-have-so-many-questionable-ethics/. Please support the original translator.

No comments:

Post a Comment