Sunday, August 26, 2018

Entry 21: Scouting: Gatou

[The first victim of my scouting campaign is in the third year classroom.]

2013-07-04_14-21-35_902


Unnamed man :: Aaagh, every last one of them puts on the face of an NPC like a coward! Where have the honest, forthright Masters disappeared to! I see that bold warriors like myself are hated by the world! Ohh, truly there has been a great extinction! Elohim essaim, elohim essaim, I raise this prayer to you! Gods and buddhas, deliver me through trials and hardships!  Grant me a battlefield sown with blood, in the flesh! Or rather, grant me a battlefield sown with blood! If that doesn’t work, grant me a battlefield sown with more blood! Anyway, grant me the use of a worthy opponent! If I remain like this, I, Monji, will become a boneless wreck from too much healing!

[This is Monji Gatou. In Fate/Extra, his Servant/personal god of choice was Arcueid, from Tsukihime. They appear as the fourth round opponents on the Rani-route. The people from the fourth round on the Rin-route are probably too crazy to make a return appearance.]

…he’s desperately trying to draw in his memories. The person before me is obviously one of the Masters. If there were an NPC like this someone would have complained to his creator. But, I can’t remember his name. I’ve seen him before, but maybe I haven’t actually spoken with him or fought with him…

Unnamed man :: Ah!? You, you’re a Master aren’t you!? The presence of a Servant hangs over you, there is no mistake!

…I made eye contact with him. I think he might follow me around forever if I don’t say so, so I answer him honestly.

Gatou :: As I thought! Not a bad expression you’ve got there! Indeed, a cupid in hell! My name is Monji Gatou. I am a super truth seeking monk, who has covered all religions and arrived at every truth. And here I am, as you are, here to fight and to compete as a Master! Well, I don’t have a Servant anymore, though.

He doesn’t have a Servant…? Is that possible, in the Holy Grail War? Doesn’t not having a Servant mean you’ve been defeated? And being defeated means –

Gatou :: No, you see. My God spoke unto me the prophecy, “Wow, you’ve got no integrity,” and took her leave of me. Even the departing figure of my primeval golden goddess was wilden…which is a combination of “wild” and “golden,” by the way.

[Hey Gatou, if you’re looking for something pretty wild, extremely golden, notably primeval and about two thirds divine, I think I can help you.]

Gatou :: Afterward, I found I had fallen into this pink-tinted school all alone. I have been waiting and conserving my boredom and destructive impulses.

So the basically same thing happened to him as to me and Leo. Gatou…he seems kind of hard to handle, but right now I’ll take whatever help I can get. I’ll try inviting him to the student council.

Gatou :: Oh? So the Masters are forming an escape plan. You were all planning to get out of here?

Of course, I immediately reply. We’re trapped in a place like this. It’s natural to try to get out as fast as we can.

Gatou :: I hadn’t though to leave. …hm. Little girl, somosan!

[God I’m sorry he keeps making up words and I don’t know what this one is even derived from. D:]

Somosan?

Gatou :: It’s opposite of seppa! “Somosan” means I have a question for you. “Seppa” means come at me! That aside. Little girl, what do you think of this place?

That’s…the old school building dyed with sunset, and the school building we were in before are very different places…

Gatou :: Is that it? I prefer this school to the previous one, myself. The sun sinks low, in the sky cherry blossoms dance, and over the rooftop cherry blossoms dance, and in the school gardens cherry blossoms dance. Hm, there really isn’t anything but dancing cherry blossoms, is there. But anyway, there is not a single place of danger here. Outside may be the haunts of inhuman monsters, but the school is filled with good feeling. It lacks any sense of time. If a single day never passes no matter how many hours go by, is this not Shangri-la or the Dragon King’s palace.

…I’m surprised. I guess you can look at it that way? Just as Gatou says, this school is presently a safe place. Though this is the “far side of the moon,” cut off from the normal world, in this suspended piece of the world, there may be nothing to fear –

Gatou :: I do not choose the place of my training. No, my heart rejoices in this new heaven and earth. To continue to rest up here would be nice.

I see. So, was he just running his mouth not thinking about what he was saying earlier? …it looks like Gatou has no interest in escaping from this place. So there’s no reason for him to join the student council. I should go find someone else.

Gatou :: No, I’ll join the student council. After all, this isn’t the Grail War, is it? So, to refuse a request for help would be a dishonor to warrior like myself!

No, you just said you were a monk!

Gatou :: Bwahahaha, a straight-man response, like lightning! Gracie! Necessity is the mother of invention, truly this is providence! Don’t be shy, don’t be shy. As soon as I get my things together, I shall join your forces. Now, you may count on my devoted assistance, as you requested!

…he left. Well, it does look like we got another member.

Unchanged from the original translation: https://tsukinoura.wordpress.com/2013/07/05/entry-22-scouting-this-guy-again/. Please support the original translator.

No comments:

Post a Comment