Saturday, August 25, 2018

Entry 6: My classmates are scandalized

While we’re having this pointless conversation, the bell rings for home room. The our class has that excessively boisterous lady for its homeroom instructor. Actually, if I listen closely I should be able to hear footsteps like those of a wild animal echoing from the hallway even over the sound of the bell…

I…don’t hear it?

[Instead of Taiga, the teacher for this class in Fate/Extra, in comes the nun with the super-powered breasts.]

The whole class gasps at this unexpected development. The room is filled with hushed whispers. An unknown woman we haven’t seen on campus before has appeared before us, dressed like a nun. She’s probably in her mid-twenties, with a gentle gaze and a graceful posture. Even clad in the severe habit of a nun, she radiates the aura of a glamorous woman.

[“Severe”? The slit up the side of that thing is almost to her waist!]

Maybe it’s because the atmosphere about her makes everyone nervous, but everyone watches her as she wordlessly approaches the teacher’s podium. Well, my reasons are a little different – for me it’s because I just met her in that outrageous way.

Unnamed woman :: I’m sorry to start your morning off with a shock. Your reaction is understandable. So, shall I go ahead and introduce myself?

The nun calmly…no, cheerfully accepts that she has the whole class bewildered, and gives us an elegant bow. She never breaks character, gently working her way into people’s hearts like the wind.

Unnamed woman :: My name is Taiga Fujimura. I will be taking up teaching duties at this school from now on. I hope to get along with all of you.

Shinji :: —- fantastic!

Shinji, who usually objects to everything by default, is instantly defanged. It seems he has a weakness for motherly women. That being the case, there’s no stopping her charm from taking him in. Every thing about that nun…Fujimura-sensei, feels somehow pure. It’s…maybe what they call “caritas”?

[The word here is “jiai,” which my dictionary defines as love/kindness, with the component characters meaning mercy and love.]

Her voice, her posture, her eyes, her smile, all of them give off as much serenity as you can possibly imagine. It’s just —-

Just, there’s a sense of discomfort creeping up the back of my neck. The name “Taiga Fujimura” somehow evokes a very different image in my mind…

“Taiga” :: Oh? Is that Hakuno sitting in the back there?

Shinji :: W-what the heck!?

Leo :: ——.

We make eye contact, and I clumsily greet her. Then she gives me an amazing smile, the kind that melts the hearts of all who look on it.

“Taiga” :: What great fortune. Thank you so much for earlier. I’ll never forget that heated embrace…

Shinji :: Hey, what are you doing, getting a move in ahead of the rest of us!? How does Taiga-sensei know you anyway!? A-and, what does she mean by embrace!?

[The word used for embrace here seems to be obscure – Shinji probably doesn’t know what the word itself means. I’m having trouble coming up with an equivalent mode of expression in English.]

Leo :: A lovers’ embrace. It was quite forward, and really unbecoming to a student…animalistic, even.

[I can’t really tell from the grammar whether Leo is calling her behavior toward me or my behavior toward her improper. It could really be either…]

Shinji :: L-lovers…!? What are you doing, Kishinami, you can’t fall for a teacher! They even say so in manga!

With Leo’s fatal declaration, the room breaks into a tizzy of feverish chatter. The girls’ eyes are alight with the fire of new gossip, the boys with envy, and Shinji is looking at me like he’ll never forgive me. And then there’s Fujimura-sensei, who gives an intimate little wave all while looking straight at the uproar around us.

…I’m getting a crease in my eyebrows, and I sigh. It looks like my ordinary day to day is going to be changing quite significantly from here on…

Unchanged from https://tsukinoura.wordpress.com/2013/06/23/entry-6-my-classmates-are-scandalized/. Please support the original translation.

No comments:

Post a Comment