Saturday, August 25, 2018

Entry 9: A talk with Rin

[So I go out into the fountain/flower bed area to find Rin. It’s nice place!]

2013-06-23_18-32-37_610


[As with Shinji, it’s worth noting that this is not Rin Tohsaka from Fate/stay night. She’s some kind of freedom fighter/terrorist genius hacker who just looks the same (but blonde outside the virtual world), has the same name, and shares some personality traits. Anyway, she’s an inferior Rin. Her Servant in Fate/Extra is Cu Chulainn, though, which is still great.]

Unnamed girl :: Hey, over there! Kishinami! Don’t just come over here casually! How many times do I have to tell you that we’re not friends or anything before you understand?

2013-06-23_18-51-49_154


[Here we see some ways in which Fate/Extra Rin’s outfit is not *quite* the same as actual Rin’s.]

She’s the one who started shouting at me first, with that shrill voice of hers. Under that pressure, I turn to look at her. Her appearance is, in a word, showy, with her black leather boots, her clothes that show off her figure, making her whole body look “tight.”

However…no matter how relaxed Tsukumihara Academy may be about its dress code, those clothes definitely can’t be a school uniform, can they?

[Yes that is the same form entirely as the Rani description, as befitting their status as Fate/Extra’s interchangeable potential sidekicks.]

Unnamed girl :: What, why are you staring at me like that. It’s not like it’s been a long time since you saw me last, we had lunch together yesterday. Well, I guess you being rude isn’t anything new. When we first met you just stared at my face like…hey, it’s my legs you’re looking at, isn’t —-!? This is your usual routine of indecency. I won’t tell you not to look, but if you want to look, you’d better fork over some cash!

[God, I love the way the Fate/Extra games are so clearly written with a male protagonist in mind and then change basically nothing when the protagonist is female. I’m serious, it’s fantastic, like a window into an alternate universe where anime sexual expectations are applied the same way to women and men and it’s crazy.]

She’s got energy – it feels like she’s going to reach out and grab me. I’m not shocked by her outburst, actually even if it’s a bit troublesome, it doesn’t really phase me. After all, I know her quite well. Her name is Rin Tohsaka. She’s the school idol, an excellent, top-scoring student. When she keeps her mouth closed she appears to be the epitome of an elegant young lady of class, but unfortunately her forceful, uninhibited personality ruins the image – as soon as she opens her mouth her tomboyishness comes right out. …no, in this situation, it ought be called fortunate. I don’t even know how many times her energy and positivity have saved me.

Rin :: …you know, I did tell you you were too close. You and I are enemies, Kishinami. If we get accustomed to each other’s company it’ll just make things harder later on. Seriously, just because we’ve fought together on occasion, you let your guard down so easily.
 
…enemies…fought together…Rin’s using weird turns of phrase. We’re compared on our test scores, and we’ve competed in extracurricular activities, but we haven’t really fought…

Rin :: Anyway, it’ll be the main event soon enough. I’m gonna have my hands full taking care of myself, so our relationship is settled as of now. Bye. If fate allows it we’ll meet again. …I mean, look, please win, all right? It’s a promise!

In her usual style, Rin tosses her hair and walks away. But as she goes,

“…hm? What am I doing picking a fight with that girl?” She mumbles, puzzled at her own actions.

[The screen goes fuzzy again, and Rin vanishes.]

…maybe the setting sun got in my eyes, or I had a dizzy spell. Now that I think of it…I get the feeling I was talking to someone just now. It’s just my imagination. Just my imagination, right? I must just be tired —-

I shake my head a little and the dizziness clears. …I should just go to the shoe racks now.

Unchanged from original translation: https://tsukinoura.wordpress.com/2013/06/24/entry-9-a-talk-with-rin/ Please support the original translator.

No comments:

Post a Comment